Master in Contemporary Issues in Risk and Crisis Management UiT The Arctic University of Norway
Recent decades have seen the emergence of threats, both ‘natural’ and man-made, posing new or increased risks to societies. Pandemics, cyber-attacks, climate change, and international terrorism are all examples of crisis that must be dealt with at international, national, and local levels. The online master in Contemporary Issues in Risk and Crisis Management (CRCM) program provides students with a multi-disciplinary approach to studying and analysing contemporary issues in risk, crisis, climate change adaptation and societal security. Through a series of specialized courses students will be given in-depth knowledge into theories, methods and strategies enabling them to address these issues in a multi-disciplinary and global perspective.
The CRCM is an online study program with innovative teaching-methods such as video lectures, written handouts, live and recorded guest lectures, project work, gaming, quizzes, in-sync seminars, training-through-research, supervisions, digital workshops, and more. The program can be taken as a full-time study (2 years) or a part time study (3-4 years). This allows the student to combine studies with work.
During the first year, students will have compulsory courses to learn about the core debates and perspectives in the fields of societal security, climate change and resilient societies, risk and safety management, crisis, and disaster management, in addition to research methods. This provides students, first, with an overview of the sources and nature of current threats and risks. Moreover, students are provided with theories, methods and strategies on how to manage these threats in different international contexts. This comprehensive and holistic approach provides a global perspective for students of risk and crisis management. The second year focuses on applying these perspectives to research and the Master Thesis project. The thesis projects are designed individually by the students supported by supervisors.
Teaching and assessment
CRCM is an integrated online study program. All learning activities will be digital; video lectures, written handouts, live and recorded guest lectures, project work, training-through-research, supervisions, digital workshops, simulation-based games. Examination will be individual home exams of varying lengths and semesterprojects (both individual and group-based).
- has advanced knowledge of risk and crisis management, including its sub-disciplines, as a field of study
- has advanced understanding in a specialized field of risk and crisis management
- has in depth understanding of the key theories, methods debates and issues informing the study of risk and crisis management, climate change adaptation and societal security
- can apply the knowledge obtained on new and contemporary issues within the field of study risk and crisis management, climate change adaptation and societal security
- can analyse relevant research topics based on the history, traditions and societal role of risk and crisis management, climate change adaptation and societal security
- can analyse and critically assess various sources of information pertaining to risk and crisis, and apply these to design and conduct academic studies
- can analyse established theories, methods and perspectives within risk and crisis management, climate change adaptation and societal security and conduct independent work to solve practical and theoretical tasks
- can independently apply relevant research methods to design and conduct research on risk and crisis management, climate change adaptation and societal security
- can conduct an independent research project in risk-, crisis management, climate change adaptation or societal security under academic supervision, following existing ethical norms and rules for research.
- can analyse relevant academic- and research ethical problems in risk and crisis management, climate change adaptation and societal security
- can apply knowledge and skills in new areas in order to carry out advanced assignments and projects
- can present and discuss aspects of one's own work by using terminology within risk and crisis management, climate change adaptation and societal security
- can communicate effectively at both academic and public arenas regarding relevant topics, analysis and conclusions within risk and crisis management, societal security and climate change adaptation
- can contribute to new thinking and innovation processes to address contemporary issues in risk and crisis management, climate change adaptation and societal security
Upon successful completion of the programme, students will be qualified for admission to a PhD program in a number of academic areas at the UiT -the Arctic University of Norway or elsewhere. The CRCM program prepares students for challenging careers ranging from the local to the global arena. It is equally relevant to the public sector, industry and non-governmental organisations. It provides knowledge, competence and skills relevant for as diverse sectors and tasks as security services, emergency and humanitarian assistance, high-risk industries, development agencies, emergency services, manufacturing, safety management, primary industries, preparedness planning, risk analysis, auditing, crisis management, and digital security.