MSc Finance (Economic Policy) (Online) SOAS University of London
Mode of Attendance: Online learning
Our MSc Finance (Economic Policy) programme is principally for postgraduates working on economic policy in government, central banks, other public organisations, international institutions and consultancy.
It will increase your understanding of the principles, applications, and context underlying economic policy, focusing on the financial aspects of policymaking. In addition, students who take the MSc in Finance will acquire a sound understanding of theories in finance and of the workings of financial markets, for a career in finance or for further research at the PhD level. Students will also become acquainted with the main issues and methods in Macroeconomic Policy, Microeconomic Policy, International Finance, and Banking and Capital Markets. The programme will present Finance and Economic Policy as scientific disciplines with a rigorous methodology, but at the same time will describe the way financial markets and institutions actually work in a variety of contexts.
Our teaching offers you exceptional insights into financial institutions and markets in London and other major cities in the world. In addition, we offer specialist knowledge of financial and management systems in the emerging markets of Africa, Asia and the Middle East – something that will set you apart from graduates of other universities that normally focus on the analysis of Europe and the Americas.
You will develop an excellent understanding of key issues shaping international business strategy in a global financial environment.
Why study MSc Finance (Economic Policy) at SOAS
Learn from world-class financial experts
- we have the Centre for Global Finance (CGF), a world-leading research centre in finance, which hosts cutting-edge research projects that involve students and a global network of experts in generating innovative solution to real-time challenges
Obtain real-world skills in the global financial hub – London
- you will be equipped with strong quantitative and analytical skills to undertake professional tasks such as financial analysis, risk management, investment appraisal and portfolio allocation
- SOAS is in close proximity to the City of London, a leading financial centre in the world with 75% of the top global companies based in the city, 100% of leading financial institutions represented, and 200 + foreign banks
You will study six modules: four core modules and two elective modules selected from the lists below.
If you wish to complete the Dissertation you must study Research Methods.
- Banking and Capital Markets
- International Finance
- Macroeconomic Policy and Financial Markets
- Microeconomic Principles and Policy
- Public Financial Management: Revenue
- The IMF and Economic Policy
- Bank Financial Management
- Bank Regulation and Resolution of Banking Crises
- Corporate Finance
- Corporate Governance
- Econometric Analysis and Applications
- Econometric Principles and Data Analysis
- Financial Econometrics
- Modelling Firms and Markets
- Project Appraisal
- Research Methods
- Risk Management: Principles and Applications
The information on the programme page reflects the intended programme structure against the given academic session.
Graduates from the MSc in Finance will be well equipped for a career in corporate finance, treasury, banking, investments, financial analysis, and other finance-related strategic roles in business.
Students who attain a distinction or merit grade will be well-placed to embark on research towards a PhD. The School of Finance and Management maintains close links with employers in the United Kingdom and its focus regions; the Centre for Global Finance has solid international links with multinational firms, governments and multilateral financial institutions.
Our graduates may wish to consider taking up work in a wide range of organisations, including:
- Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ
- Euro Monitor International
- HM Treasury
- Western Securities Co. Ltd
Graduates may also consider taking up the following roles:
- Financial Analyst
- Investment Banker
- Market Research Executive
- Management Consultant
- Foreign Exchange Trading Business Manager
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.