Postgraduate Diploma in Human Resource Management
Online United Kingdom
2 - 5 years
Full time, Part time
GBP 7,100 *
Earliest start date
* total cost
This qualification begins by examining the research and theory about the work of HR professionals, helps develop the skills needed to be an effective HR professional. You’ll explore the contexts within which HR strategies and policies are developed, the choices an organisation may make about its HR strategy and the implications of adopting the different strategies. There is also an analytical element as you’ll learn how to manage people effectively and responsibly through analytics. The compulsory modules lay the foundations for choosing between looking at the concepts of employment relations and employee engagement or how coaching and mentoring supports learning in the workplace.
Key features of the course
- Gain an understanding of the HR professional’s role, addressing ethical dilemmas, EDI (Equality, Diversity and Inclusion), and sustainable HR management.
- Develop essential people management skills such as interviewing, training, and managing performance.
- Learn to manage people effectively and responsibly using people analytics
- Option to include a focus on either employee relations or workplace learning.
The learning outcomes of this qualification are described in four areas:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills
To gain this qualification, you need 120 credits and we recommend that you study the modules in the following order:
90 credits from the following:
- The role of the human resource professional (B810)
- Human resource management in context (B811)
- Managing people effectively and responsibly through analytics (B812)
plus 30 credits from the following:
- Employment relations and employee engagement (B813)
- Workplace learning: coaching and mentoring (B814)
You should note that the University’s unique study rule applies to this qualification. This means that you must include at least 40 credits from OU modules that have not been counted in any other OU qualification that has previously been awarded to you.
If you later choose to progress to the MSc in Human Resource Management (F93) you are advised to register for a higher-level award in the first instance. The MSc in Human Resource Management is the only qualification that provides a route to CIPD Membership.