Vision in Learning Disabilities and Dyslexia (Online Course)
Hadassah Academic College
USD 400 *
Earliest start date
02 Jan 2024
* Registration fee | Special offer - early registration at a discounted rate: $350
The Vision in Learning Disabilities and Dyslexia course, offered by Hadassah Academic College's Optometry Department, is designed for optometrists worldwide. However, ophthalmologists, opticians, and orthoptists are also encouraged to participate.
This course delves into the intricate background of learning disabilities, while simultaneously addressing the contentious nature of certain optometric interventions that many individuals believe alleviate learning disabilities. Examples of such interventions include vision therapy, low-plus lenses, and colored filters.
The course tackles this debate by meticulously examining the available evidence and exploring the role of an optometrist as an integral member of a multidisciplinary team.
The course is a course in Optometry, it is aimed at optometrists worldwide. However, ophthalmologists, opticians, and orthoptics are also welcomed.
3 ECTS academic credit options are available.
- Binocular vision and accommodation testing for children with profound or specific learning difficulties (MEM retinoscopy, cover test masterclass, fusional reserves, VT)
- Role and management of binocular vision and accommodation anomalies in learning difficulties
- Clinical tools for a conservative approach to investigating the effect of colored filters
- Evidence-based approach in clinical practice
- Etiology of dyslexia and other learning difficulties
- Pursuit and saccadic eye movements and learning
- Visual perceptual skills and memory skills in learning difficulties
- Why are visual stress and the use of colored filters still controversial?
3 concentrated days of online studies on Zoom - January 2nd, January 9th, and January 16th, 2024.
*All lectures are recorded to facilitate flexible study and will be available for review for two years.
Course Requirements and Assessments
- Short quizzes to check understanding after every lecture
- Final exam for those wanting academic credit