Business Strategy and Decision Making Skills Course - Coventry University FutureLearn
Gain a sound working knowledge of business strategy, decision-making, business models and the pros and cons of strategic choices.
An introduction to creating business models and successful business strategy
What is strategic planning, and how do business models help companies to succeed? This ExpertTrack offers you the opportunity to widen your perspective of business strategy and discover how to use some powerful strategic models.
You’ll have a chance to explore the nature and complexity of the business environment and analyse internal resources and strategic capability. You’ll then address the key theoretical aspects of strategy and apply them to practical activities.
Understand how to use SWOT and PESTLE analysis
Learn to evaluate and select the best strategic options in relation to internal (SWOT analysis) and external (PESTLE analysis) auditing. The PESTLE framework examines the key factors (Political, Economic, Sociological, Technological, Legal and Environmental) that influence a business from the outside.
Business strategy basics: from value chain to macroeconomics
This ExpertTrack offers wide-ranging insight into improving how business works. How can an effective value chain deliver more value for less cost? And how can macroeconomic models be used to understand the past, present and potential future of a business?
Learn to master powerful competitor analysis tools
Find out how businesses outperform their rivals by learning how to conduct competitive analysis. With the right tools, you’ll learn to view competitors as ‘stakeholders’ and use their own strategies to see how your own business can grow.
A variety of teaching methods and assessments are used to support your study in this ExpertTrack, including group discussions, case studies, quizzes and individual assignments.
Key skills you will learn
- Competitor analysis
- Strategic capabilities
- Tangible and intangible organisational skills
- PESTLE framework
- Macroeconomic and macroenvironmental analysis
- Decision making
- Corporate strategy
- SWOT analysis
- Business strategy
- Business development
By the end of the ExpertTrack, you’ll be able to:
- Explore how corporate strategies are determined demonstrating a good understanding of the complex skills and knowledge necessary to evaluate one or more strategic decision-making models.
- Differentiate between and determine appropriate strategic choices, using advanced skills in conducting research.
- Identify the barriers to the implementation of the choices, considering the consequences of strategy implementation.
- Review and apply a range of approaches to the formulation of the strategy of an organisation.
It’s recommended that you have at least two years of relevant experience, as a business manager or business student, to benefit from this ExpertTrack.
This ExpertTrack is designed for intermediate-level business managers and students to gain more knowledge about strategy and globalisation. This course will equip you with the concepts, framework and techniques needed for better environmental scanning.
ExpertTrack course overview
- An Introduction to Macro Environmental Analysis and Business Strategy
Explore the fundamentals of business strategy and learn how the macro environment and macroeconomics affect strategy formulation.
- Internal Analysis of a Company: From Value Chain to SWOT Analysis
Determine your strategic capabilities and learn successful strategies for conducting internal environment analysis.
- Competitor Analysis
Find out how to implement successful corporate-level strategy and robust organisational structures through competitive analysis.
- Strategic Actions, Strategic Goals
Learn the best methods for foreign market entry strategies, corporate diversification and corporate international strategy.
- Strategic Choice and Planning
Learn how to make the right strategic choices for business and the role of planning in building successful strategies.
How ExpertTracks work
Join an ExpertTrack to master new skills in your chosen specialist area. Work through a series of topic-focused courses at your own pace, and pass the final assessment to earn a digital certificate award which proves your expertise.
Join a free 7-day trial
Decide if the ExpertTrack is right for you with free access to the full suite of courses and assessments for a week.
Keep learning for $39/month
Pay a monthly subscription fee of $39 for as long as it takes you to complete the ExpertTrack. You can learn at your own pace and cancel at any time.
Earn digital certificates
Receive a certificate for every completed course and pass the final assessment to earn a digital certificate that you can share with your professional network.
Become an expert
Use your specialist training to progress further in your career or build expertise in areas you’re passionate about.
World-class learning with
Coventry secured gold in the UK Government’s 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) and is the University of the Year for Student Experience in The Times & The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019.
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends