Basics of Proofreading (Free Online Course With Certificate) Alison Free Online Learning
This free online course explains how to become a skilled proofreader that keeps paper and digital documents error-free.
This course is a good starting point if you want to become a professional proofreader as it lays out the basics and provides the skills you need to edit digital and printed materials before publication. Proofreaders catch the mistakes missed by copy editors and are a crucial part of the publishing team. This course teaches you how to confidently proofread text to ensure error-free copy, which can also help you avoid mistakes in your own writing.
What You Will Learn In This Free Course
- Identify the personal attributes and professional competencies of a good proofreader
- Outline the responsibilities and duties of a proofreader
- Lay out each step of the publication process
- Define the most important terms used in proofreading
- Identify the purpose of a style guide
- Describe the various methods and techniques used to correct grammatical errors
- Recognise the editing marks and notations used to edit and proofread documents
- Explain how to make corrections to copy
- List the fundamental strategies and procedures of proofreading